Thursday, September 11, 2008

My Broadcasting Inspiration

No matter what profession someone decides to enter, usually you can find a person who influences you to go for your goal and succeed in the path that you choose for yourself. In my case, I was fortunate enough to have such a person in my family, and she's been a huge part of my drive to become a broadcast journalist.

Peggy Robinson is a (VERY) distant cousin who also happens to be a senior producer at the NewsHour with Jim Lehrer. I first met Peggy in middle school, before the idea of a career in broadcast journalism was anything more than a pipe dream of mine. After speaking with her, I was gripped by her descriptions of that world and so it kept my interest running in the field a bit longer. During my high school years, my family and I went to visit her in Washington, D.C. where she lives and where the NewsHour is based. While we were there, we were able to sit in on the live production of one of the daily NewsHour shows. It's at that point that I think I was finally bitten by the broadcasting bug.

Peggy has since kept in touch with me about my experiences in college and with broadcast news, and has also pointed my towards opportunities in the field, including my recent desk assistantship with the NewsHour at the Republican National Convention this month. Without a doubt, I would not be in the place I was at today without her guidance in the industry.

No comments: