Tuesday, August 21, 2007

This is it...

Wow, it's hard to believe but my time at my internship is rapidly coming to an end. Last weekend was my last Saturday there and boy was it a cool one. I went out on stories with a solo photog, Jamie, and had a blast, we got a quick VO at YSU's Summer Commencement ceremonies, which wasn't exactly exciting, but going out solo was fun.

After that we headed out to Wick Park (still in Youngstown) where a local church and its supporters were giving away backpacks to underprivileged kids from the area. This was the best part of the day: Since we only sent a photog (who was actually employed) I ended up doing all the interviewing for the VOSOT we made of it. Channel 33 actually sent a photog AND reporter, Jackie Preston to the event.

Now, let me explain something here: I'm well aware that I can't actually get on the air as an intern due to union rules, and that's fine by me. But it felt absolutely awesome to basically be in the same position as an honest-to-goodness reporter. As we were driving away from the park, I couldn't help but think to myself, "This is it... this is what I need to be doing."

I only have two more days left in my internship, tonight and tomorrow, but this past weekend gave me just the kind of boost that I need to push through the last day.

It's good to finally KNOW what you want your future to look like. now comes the hard part. To steal a line from Star Trek's Patrick Stewart, now it's up to me to "make it so."

Stay tuned!

No comments: