Friday, January 4, 2008

First Two Days

First thing first: When I said later tonight yesterday, I meant today! So this will be my first two days run into one.

First day was interesting. I started off transcribing a rolodex, but afterwards got to work on breaking news; a story about a 10-year-old accidentally shot in the face with a shotgun. Sad story, but it broke as I was wrapping up the Rolodex, so I got to spend some time working it with newsroom staff.

After that, I watched a show from inside the control room and got to see exactly how producers ran the show in a bigger station, which was a new experience. The County Line control room during a show kind of pales in comparison (not like this is a shock, but it IS worth noting.)

After the three shows from 5:00 to 6:30, I went back down to the newsroom and manned the assignment desk for an hour or so, and actually took down a few tips. The stories were never used, but it got me some experience in getting all the info I could for a story ahead of time.

That wrapped up day one for me! Day two is my next post.

No comments: