Wednesday, January 16, 2008

More adventures in election reporting!

Oh, broadcasting. Never a dull moment, and last night proves it.

So, as I said in my last post, I went down south to Kalamazoo last night to track the election numbers as they come in. Well doncha know, that for the first time in the memory of WOOD, Kalamazoo County was actually USING the election tracking system they had set up, and they were able to watch the votes coming in from the station in Grand Rapids ANYWAY. *sigh*

That's the first part of the night; don't go far, it gets better!

So after I got the call to come on back, I hop on 131 (US-131, a fairly major highway through West Michigan) and on my way back to Grand Rapids, I hear a strange thumping and then a BOOM. Oh yeah, I had popped a tire. As if that wasn't enough, my cell phone had died on the way back, so what was left for me to do? Turn on the hazards and hoof it to the nearest exit and find a gas station. I fortunately was only 1/4 of a mile or so away from one, so it wasn't a LONG walk, but someone did actually stop and give me a lift for the larger part of the (albeit short) trip. From there, it gets boring, I got the gas station's phone and called AAA and they got me back on the road again, so I was fine, but I do need to get that new tire.

I've heard it countless times before, but you never know what this business will throw at you, and here's a shining example! On the other hand, I heard today about an intern who was once stuck overnight in Ionia County (a.k.a B.F.E.) so it could have been far worse!

Mock newscast is coming up tonight, more on that later, probably tomorrow!

2 comments:

Brad Weaver, BC Instructor said...

Looks like you picked an exciting time to intern.

Alex said...

That's one word for it. Now we'll see what happens on Tuesday. It'll be most interesting I think.